Wednesday 9 October 2013

First Impressions Of New York From Tornadoes to Government Shut Downs

After Virgin cocktails and movies on the flight I arrived feeling refreshed and reflective as I braved the strong winds of New York upon landing.


I was unaware of a tornado watch as an English girl, a tornado is not something I usually check for on my iPhone. Next time I'll know better. Luckily it was a warning which expired at 5pm that day. At 12pm the winds were fairly strong...



The traffic was very New York... not that I usually know what that is like but when you see the movies and there is some love-sick person who is trying to catch the love of their life in a taxi in non-moving traffic... it was like that but without the love interest and on a shuttle bus.



It was exciting to be in the hub of things. Like a super-sized London with wide streets and tall intimating buildings. The thoughts that came to my mind were grey with a tint of yellow cab.

With the government shut down, New York closed some of it's sights to me, including Statue of Liberty and national parks. I hope they re-open soonish, or I want a refund. 


I am a building structure freak, so I loved driving past these downtown apartments as I only imagined what it would be like to live there amongst the hustle and bustle.


The advertisements were blinding and flashy. The numerous TV adverts started to induce a headache but can be quite hilarious with one stating, "If you are not whitening, you are yellowing!" I better start whitening my teeth or stop smiling then. I also liked, "Ask your doctor if your heart is healthy enough for sexual activity."  Hmmm, no comment.


The journey out of New York on the greyhound bus was pleasant. The people on the other hand I found to be very polite with 'Ma'am' and 'Sir' at the beginning of each sentence and sometimes leading me to question why they even bothered using this polite term at all with an aggressive, "Sir, where is this bus going?" To a lightning response of "Sir, don't tell me how to do my job!"


Like the weather in New York on that Monday afternoon, the passenger shouted, "Boy you're grumpy!" Everyone around me started giggling. I thought to myself even through only observations, I would have fun out here in the States.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sacha,
    glad you landed safely and already making your way across the Wilds of the US ;)

    Great pictures by the way, you have a good artistic eye.

    Have fun but be safe and wise xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant post!

    'The thoughts that came to my mind were grey with a hint of yellow cab' haha, love it!

    Looking forward to reading more :)

    Matt x

    ReplyDelete