Wednesday 13 March 2013

Interview with Poetical Tv about Domestic Violence, Dyslexia and my Inspirations

Poetical Tv: So what was the inspiration behind you writing your poem "Cover Me With Lace And Not Bruises"? 

Sacha: Well, I had to write a piece for a show 'Say Sum Thin 4' at the Nottingham Playhouse to perform as part of the Mouthy Poets collective. I had come out of a domestically violent relationship six months earlier and I remember sitting on my bed thinking it would be great if I would be able to speak about what I have experienced and not be ashamed about it. I know many women feel ashamed once they come out of domestically violent relationships due to the nature of the dynamics of being in such an unhealthy relationship. The violent partner tends to convince the other partner that the behaviour is all their fault. So they either stay in the relationship thinking they deserve this behaviour or leave the relationship often with low self-esteem making them prone to wanting to go back to the relationship. They feel worthless with no voice that is worth listening to. So as I sat upon my bed I made the decision to speak about what I had experienced even though I too was a bit ashamed at the time as well. I knew on some level if I ever wanted to help anyone else who had experienced anything remotely similar then I would have to be brave and speak up. I am so glad I did as now it is clear to me that any violent actions are fully accountable by the person who made the decision to be violent or aggressive. As it is a choice they made.

Please read the rest of the interview by clicking this link



No comments:

Post a Comment